Gavin Jennings is Minister for Innovation and Minister for the Environment and Climate Change in the Brumby Government. He is also Deputy Leader of the Government in the Legislative Council.
Building an innovation-driven economy that generates high valued exports and high skilled jobs while simultaneously tackling quality of life challenges in areas like health and the environment is a key goal for the Victorian Government.
As Minister for Innovation, Mr Jennings oversees the development and delivery of a wide of range of policies and programs that make up Victoria’s Innovation Agenda. This includes:
- the Science, Technology and Innovation initiative
- the Biotechnology Strategic Development Plan and the Nanotechnology Statement
- strengthening and expanding Victoria's science and technology precincts and clusters
- initiatives to drive the growth of Victoria's creative industries, with particular focus on film and television industries, and the design sector
- developing Victoria's next generation innovation strategy within the framework of the National Innovation Agenda
His portfolio responsibility for innovation also makes him ideally placed to drive the technological and scientific advances that will help Victoria make a significant contribution to tackling the threat of climate change in to the future.